Please note: There are 12 additional picture books (for the parent/tutor to read aloud) which are used throughout the lessons in LLATL Blue Book. They need to be obtained separately. The first book is Who Took the Farmers Hat, the next, Goodnight Moon. The order in which they appear is the same order they appear in the lessons throughout the programme. We have listed them as such so that only the first one or two or more can be purchased to get going and then the others could be purchased later, as and when required, (or not at all). Please watch the video for full explanation on the picture books used with the Blue LLATL programme. You can find the picture books, here
Click here to do the – Blue Placement Test
The Common Sense Reading Program, the Blue Book, for first grade skills, is the perfect reading program for for beginning readers. The updated third edition is even easier to use with clearer instructions and a colorized companion Student Booklet. Lessons include: phonics instruction using the “Successful Reading for Beginners” series. Your student begins reading stories right away!
This set consist of:
- Parent/Teacher Manual
- Student Activity Book
- 28 Readers
- Materials Packet
The Blue Book programme is a simple, cost effective tool for beginning reading instruction. The easy-to-use format is both understandable for the parents, and enjoyable for the student. The phonics skills as well as higher order thinking skills are emphasised.
The program is divided into four parts – 36 lessons:
- Lessons require little or NO preparation! Read-aloud stories and “real books” provide a basis for language arts skills: phonics, reading, spelling, grammar, and higher order thinking skills, even handwriting included!
- A systematic phonics approach includes: short and long vowels, consonant blends, word families, and sight words.
- Handwriting instruction teaches upper and lower case letters, numbers, and punctuation! Illustrated practice sheets encourage your student to do his best.
- Games, word-wheels, flip books, and MORE hands-on projects and activities are effective for ALL types of learners.
- Assessments enable teachers to evaluate progress. Essential to the program, consumable Student Activity Books may be purchased separately.
- Successful Reading for Beginners – Short Vowel Readers by Yuriko Nichols (12 readers)
- Successful Reading for Beginners – Bridge Readers by Debbie Strayer (6 readers)
- Successful Reading for Beginners – Long Vowel Readers by Yuriko Nichols (10 readers)
Children will receive satisfaction from reading a ‘whole’ book early in their reading experience rather than waiting for months. The reading instruction approach is unique in that the materials enable your student to read ‘real’ books. These books contain imaginative stories, sequentially organised to allow your student to use and review previously developed abilities.
Reviews and Assessments after most lessons, aid teachers in identifying strengths and weaknesses.