Click here to do the – Placement Test (0.18MB)
The Gold Book – American Literature includes 36 weekly lessons similar in format to the other editions of the Learning Language Arts Through Literature series. Written in conversational form, with story summaries and complete answers provided for the discussion questions, this book is easy for any teacher to use. Information has been interwoven into the lessons so that the student becomes familiar with famous American authors. Most lessons include vocabulary-expanding applications.
The Gold Book – American Literature includes famous American short stories, novels, and poetry. The student analyzes selections of literature, learns literary terminology, writes characterizations and other short analyses, essays, short stories, and poetry.
- Book Studies:
- Great American Short Stories – Edited Wallace and Mary Stegner
- The Mentor Book of Major American Poets – Edited Oscar Williams and Edwin Honig
- The Old Man and the Sea – Ernest Hemingway
- The Red Badge of Courage – Stephen Crane
- The Pearl – John Steinbeck
The book is designed for Teacher directed use, or the Student can use it on his own. Answers are found at the end of each lesson. The Student is expected to keep a four-section notebook for assigned writings.